Issues to Consider when Underpinning to create more basement space
There are a few things you will have to consider when you are preparing for lowering your basement floor.
- Should you change your central heater and /or water heater and does it fit the new location?
- If you don’t replace your furnace/water heater you will need to have your services lowered/extended to the new height of basement floor.
- Same applies to the Hot water heater. Should you upgrade to a tankless or change existing one.
- If you live in an older home you should consider having your sewer drains replaced with brand-new PVC drain pipe.
- In some areas you would be required to install a sump pump in the basement.
- Have weeping tiles installed around the perimeter of the basement walls which would discharge into the sump.
- If your sewer drain leading out from the basement is too high for the depth you want to excavate to, you could install a sewer pump out unit with a reflux valve.
- You may have to install a new set of Stairs and hand rail.
- You might want to consider installing Radiant Heating in the new basement floor.